In 1872 a two-manual organ was purchased from a Durham firm at the enviable cost of £1000. By the early 1880s however, music had become an important part of the building and the St Giles’ Choral Society had formed to develop Cathedral music. There was even a choir singing at the 1872 Christmas service! The organ needed updating and was reconstructed as a four-manual by 1891. It had a gas engine, and bellows to keep it going. Luckily, our 1992 Rieger organ requires slightly less work.
Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (Bedford Lemere and Company Collection)